Saturday, March 25, 2017

Hustle your marketing with this canvas


Marketing is the process of introducing your target demographic to your product. It’s as simple as that. So how does that happen? Through a lot of different ways, many of them unique to individual products, market places and people.

I’ve been working in this field for close to 10 years now. I have worked with global companies, small startups, punk bands, a skateboarding company, government offices and a dude who I’m 80% sure was in the Russian mafia.

In that time, I've learned that marketing is fucking easy.

In that time, I’ve learned that no matter what you’re marketing or where, you need to define the same information and lessons, or you will not succeed. This applies if you’re a startup, an artist, a WordPress dev house or a gorecore metal band.

  • What is your product?
  • What are its marketable elements?
  • Based on that, what is your key message?
  • Who is your target audience?
  • Who are their influencers?
  • What free channels do you have access to?
  • What paid channels do you have access to?
  • What are your goals?
  • What are your first three phases?

I’ve put this into a canvas that I use regularly.

It’s inspired by the lean startup canvas. I know this isn’t an original idea, I’m certainly not claiming to have invented it. There’s other marketing canvases out there.

But I did make this one, and I’ve found it works every time. It gets the people I work with thinking about the direction of their marketing and establishes a high level plan.

This isn’t a total marketing plan. It’s definitely a bird’s eye view, intended to be used as the starting point, before you further develop and define what you’re doing. For many people, the initial brainstorming around their marketing never happens, or it doesn’t go anywhere. Try this instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment